In the pine plantations and native forest of Mount Crawford, in the Adelaide Hills near Williamstown, a designated fossicking ground follows Watts Gully, named for John Watts, who found gold here in 1884. Fossickers who buy a ForestrySA permit can pan and sieve the stream gravels for fine gold that lodges behind rock bars and in crevices, while the wider district has also yielded garnet, beryl, tourmaline and other specimen minerals. Digging is confined to the marked area, and holes must be backfilled.
Nearby on Australian Atlas
View on full map →Loading map…
More in Barossa Valley
Independently owned and operated — how this listing was verified